Powered by Jitbit AspNetForum free trial version.

Home » Announcements » City will discuss whether a more restrictive Messages in this topic - RSS
8/2/2020 8:25:16 PM
cigspriced
Posts 37
Smoking opponents want the Simi Valley City Council to follow Moorpark's example and ban cigarette smoking in restaurants and workplaces.

After receiving numerous pleas to reduce second-hand cigarette smoke, Mayor Greg Stratton told city staff members Monday to schedule a public discussion on whether Simi Valley should strengthen its smoking law Tobacco Store. The ordinance, which was adopted in 1987, now restricts smoking to designated areas in restaurants and office lunchrooms.

The move comes a month after Moorpark became the first city in Ventura County to ban smoking in nearly all indoor public places and work sites Newport Cigarettes Carton Price. Moorpark's law allows smoking in bars and in a restaurant's bar area, if it is sealed off from the dining room.

"The issue is property rights," she said. "The owner of that restaurant, to me, has the right to say whether it's smoking or nonsmoking Cigarettes Online."

Webb said she is a former two-pack-a-day smoker who is now sensitive to the smell of cigarettes. But she objects to government intrusions on this issue.

"The marketplace is doing its job," she said Newport Cigarettes. "The customers are saying, 'We don't want smoking.' Restaurants are slowly switching over. I see no reason to force them into it."

The Simi Valley Chamber of Commerce has not taken a public stand on revising the smoking law. But chamber President Michael McCaffrey said his group generally opposes added government rules on issues such as smoking Newport Cigarettes.

Still, Mayor Stratton said some restaurant owners want to ban smoking but are afraid of losing customers to their competitors. He said those owners would rather see the council impose a citywide ban Marlboro Red Cigarettes, so that all restaurants will have to play by the same rules.

"There are people who think it's anti-business," Stratton said. "I don't think it is."

But even Stratton said he would not necessarily go as far as Moorpark. In Moorpark, the new law requires a restaurant to have a physical barrier and a separate ventilation system separating the dining room from a bar area, where smoking is allowed.

"I want it to be effective but not cumbersome," the mayor said.

Throughout California, 70 cities already ban smoking in restaurants, said Alan Zovar, an Oak Park resident who is coordinator of the regionwide Task Force for Safe and Healthful Air. He said the task force, a coalition of 33 health and environmental groups, lobbied for the tougher Los Angeles smoking law.

Zovar, who urged Simi Valley leaders to further restrict smoking in public, said many Southern California cities are moving in that direction.

"When it comes down simplifying the issue, safe air is good for our health, safe air is good for business and safe air makes good political sense," he said.
Related articles:
The Price Of Cigarettes

Usa Cigarettes Online
pages: 1
|

Home » Announcements » City will discuss whether a more restrictive